Monday, September 1, 2008

One-armed drummer and Chinese food


This past weekend was wonderful with just me and my mom. We had quite a few interesting conversations....one including a drummer with only one arm! I could not believe it. I laughed in disbelief for almost five minutes. I had never ever heard of a drummer with only one arm-was it even possible? So, I looked it up on the trusty old internet, and sure enough, there IS a one-armed drummer. His name is Rick Allen. He was playing for Def Leppard when a vehicle accident severed his left arm. And he played on. Wow. Talk about perseverance and hard work.


As much as that was entertaining, our lunch with the Atkinsons at a Chinese restaurant was much more fun. I know I have eaten Chinese before, just I don't remember it. First we had fun figuring out what animal we are supposed to be like, and what animals we should stay away from. Then they brought us this egg drop soup (I think that is what it was called). It was salty, but good. I had had no idea what to order, and half of the items on the menu I couldn't even pronounce. I got the general chicken with steamed rice. That is the hottest thing I have tasted in a long time! It was so hot that it made my lips water. Literally. Interesting experience. Especially watching Jimmy eat......


School starts tomorrow for my brothers Alex and Chase. They got home at midnight last night caked in sand and dirt and cuts. Gavin even has a burn on his leg from the mini motorcycles they ride around the trails. Poor little guy. Anyway, the house is chaos as they pack backpacks and get school clothes out. They have to wear a uniform, so black dress socks are dug out of the sock drawer, khaki and navy pants are hemmed, and white dress shirts are ironed. Lucky me now that I can wear normal clothes!!!

No comments: