Monday, October 13, 2008

What A Monday-and week!







Let me go way back to Friday. I take a Foods class. We just recently started cooking(we call it labs), and we have made taco potatoes, scotcheroos, and blueberry muffins. Muffins from scratch. All Thursday and Friday I was craving a muffin, fresh out of the oven, light and fluffy and blueberry goodness. I can smell them now.......Anyway, my lab group and I grabbed our recipe card and ran to the kitchen, tying our hair back and throwing on aprons, anxious to get our muffins done so we could EAT. Our batter was lumpy and looked like throw up. We put it in the little muffin papers and hurriedly put them into the oven. We figure a little heat and time would magically turn them into ultra delicious muffins. Five, ten, fifteen minutes slowly ticked by. Now, I am no Betty Crocker, but I am pretty sure that muffins that only have three minutes left in the oven should not be soupy blue, and should not be BUBBLING! Yes, we had blue, lumpy, runny, bubbling soup when the timer went off. We were devastated. For a few minutes we thought and cried and thought some more about why our muffins didn't turn out. Then, I realized. Flour. There was two different measurements for flour in the recipe. One was a teaspoon of sifted flour, the other was 1 and 3/4 cups of regular flour. Unluckily, we only saw the teaspoon. I guess no muffin can be made with only a teaspoon of flour. My dream muffin slowly crumbled into nothing. My stomach growling, I did the only thing I knew how to do. I begged. I begged shamelessly until another lab group took pity on me and gave me one of their extra muffins. Two words-blueberry heaven.
Saturday-we won our tournament!! I also went to see City of Ember. I was impressed. There was actually not a romance between Doon and Lina. I had read the book before hand, and loved it! Most of the time books are much better than movies, but this one was actually good. You should see it.
Sunday my brother almost died. Serious. For those of you who don't know Alex, he is extremely allergic to bees. Like, he could die if he doesn't insert his epipen. Well this day he was wrestling around on the ground and all of a sudden he jumped up, screaming. I was about to tell him to shut up when he started yelling "I got stung! I GOT STUNG!" Immediately, my family jumped into action. Mom stomped on the offending insect viciously, killing it at some point. Dad was panicking and trying to find his epipen, I was trying to ask Alex where his pen was, and Chase and Gavin were cowering on the sofa, faces white and eyes bright and wide. As it turned out, he must not be allergic to yellow jackets, just bees. Thank You, Jesus!
Today was a crappy day for most of my friends, but it was actually pretty good for me for a Monday. I had no homework, no volleyball practice. Yay. I kind of don't know what to do with my extra time.
Also, if you are looking for a really super amazing awesome good read, read The Taking
by Dean Koontz. I loved it! It is one of those books that makes you think for a while after you finish it. I actually found it in my algebra teacher's classroom.

1 comment:

Tamera said...

Shan you are awesome! You had me laughing while reading about Alex getting stung. I know that sounds bad but it is a compliment to you. Thanks for the book referral. Dean Koontz in one of my fav writers. I wrote it down because I am old and will forget. Luv ya!