Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spirit Week

My double dual game on Monday was at Grand Haven High School. First of all, just let me say that two hours on a bus is an EXTREMELY long time. But, we all survived the ride and got to the town of Grand Haven just fine. As soon as we got off the expressway, we realized we were lost. Coaches were starting to panic, wildly asking if anyone had Internet on their phone to look up MapQuest. I don't know if someone called someone who knew where to go, or we followed another team's bus to the school, all I know is that we got there finally only a few minutes late. We had another game Wednesday in Perry. We got lost again. This time we realized it when we found ourselves in the midst of cornfields and cute farm houses with carved pumpkins on their porches. In the middle of nowhere. We had to stop and ask this random guy if he knew where we were supposed to go. Luckily, he did, and I think the bus may have done a u-turn but not sure.
Enough about directions. Let's get on to spirit week. Wow. Monday was nerd day, and surprisingly not many people dressed up. I did as much as I could (we have to wear our warm-ups on game days), laughing nervously at myself all the way to the end of our driveway where my bus would pick me up. My nervous laugh turned into nervous hysteria as I stepped on my bus and saw NO ONE wearing anything even remotely nerdy. That's when I started to think that maybe I had the wrong day, or maybe even week! How embarrassing would that be?? Long story short, I got to school and walked in with another nerd from another bus. Wednesday was 80s day. THAT was interesting. Mom tried to hairspray my bangs up-yes that's right, UP-but I guess I have too long of bangs. Darn. What a shame. Anyway, I saw a lot of funny outfits. And hair. I think the hair was funnier than the outfits. Today was superhero day. A lot of Batmans and Supermans in the world.
And, as a sort of sequel to my softball horror story, I have to tell you about the soccer game today. There is a girl named Courtney in my P.E. class. She was defending her team's side as a forward was about to kick the ball. Between Courtney and the kicker was about five feet, plenty of time to gain speed and altitude to smash into poor Courtney's face. The remarkable thing is that she didn't cry or scream in outrage at all. She just said "I'm ok, I'm ok." AND WALKED. I would have been screaming and running and attacking and sobbing and dead. Talk about tough.
Well, only one more day and it is the weekend!!!! Hallelujah!

No comments: